Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to Edwardsburg Middle School! On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to welcome you to an exciting 2015-16 school year. I am looking forward to serving as your principal in this exemplary middle school setting!
The success and sound reputation of Edwardsburg Middle School is the result of incredible student, parental and community support and involvement. We aim to cultivate this partnership in both the academic and extracurricular setting.
All students can learn – if given the right instruction and enough time.
From early elementary, the greatest indicator of academic success is the ability to read and comprehend the written word. Parents often ask, “How can I help my student get better grades?” Read with them! Have them read everything – books, cereal boxes, even tweets. We have more great literature focused at young adults than ever before. If your student is reluctant, start with an audio book to build interest.
Another obvious indicator of student success is attendance. The premise is simple: Students need to attend school daily to succeed. According to a recent NASSP article, missing 10% of the school year—or 18 days in most districts—correlates with serious academic trouble. Missing as few as 3 days in a grading period can reduce grades from a “B” to a “C.” Be Here…
…And Be Part Of It! Student involvement in extracurricular and co-curricular activities can greatly increase students’ grades. The level of communal acceptance and comfort is key factor. A study by the U. S. Department of Education revealed that “students who participate in co-curricular activities are three times more likely to have a grade point average of 3.0 or better than students who do not participate in co-curricular activities” (Stephens & Schaben, 2002, para. 4). If you are an Edwardsburg Eddie, don’t wait to be asked to be part of the team – you ARE part of the team!
Points of pride accomplishments and facts that make Edwardsburg Middle School a special place to be!
- Edwardsburg Middle School was recognized for three straight years (2011-12, 2012-13, and 2013-14) as a reward school for “beating the odds”! Data for 14-15 has not been released yet.
- Edwardsburg Middle School has a caring and supportive administration and teaching staff cultivating a positive school climate that promotes kindness, respect, and responsibility.
- In 2013-14, among all schools in the Wolverine Conference and in Southwest Lower Michigan, EMS 7th graders were ranked number one in percentage of students proficient in all content areas on the MEAP assessment!
- In 2013-14, among all schools in the wolverine conference and in Southwest Lower Michigan, EMS ranked among the top 5 in the following MEAP content areas; 6th grade mathematics; 8th grade reading; 6th grade reading; 8th grade science; 6th grade social studies
EMS curricular and co-curricular accomplishments include:
• 7th grade and 8th grade bands received a Division two rating at the MSBOA District Six Band and Orchestra festival.
• 15 band students participated in the Andrews University Honor Band; 36 band students participated in the fall solo & ensemble; 30 band students participated in the spring solo & ensemble.
• Cass County Spelling Bee: 1st place Individual Champion.
• Farm Bureau Insurance Company “America and Me” essay contest: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers.
• 19 Krasl Box Factory Art Show participants including community award winner and 2nd place overall in 2-d artwork.
• Tri-county math meet: EMS took 2nd place overall out of 17 schools!
• 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers of the Veterans of Foreign Wars “Patriot’s Pen” essay contest
• Over 5% of the student body had perfect attendance at EMS.
• For the 2014-15 school year, over a hundred students qualified for the AAA luncheon for no absences, no tardies, and no suspensions for the first semester!
The staff and students at EMS display the EPS culture of Pride, Passion, and Purpose! If there is anything we can do to help your child, please do not hesitate to call.
Mr. James Knoll